?

Log in

clarebear's Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> myspace
> profile
> previous 20 entries

Monday, November 24th, 2008
10:47 pm - run down
I have been really busy with school. It's stressful at times, of course, but I'm hangin' in.

I have a bajillion pies to make by Wednesday night. Ma said she'll help (or I'll help her), but her leg still hurts off-and-on from her fracture last winter. I don't mind doing the work as long as I have help. If no one is going to provide me with helpful services to reduce my stress level and workload, the only thing they can do to keep me from going crazy is to stay the hell out of the kitchen. If you have the last name of DeFillippo, it is often proven to be a difficult challenge. :-P

Andrew (my 7 1/2 month old nephew) crawls now. Well, he flops around I should say. It looks like he's doing the eel/worm that break dancers do. It's quite amusing. He's my world.

I have also been extremely busy with physical therapy three times a week. Friday is my last scheduled day (it marks four weeks) but John and Edyta (my physical therapists with whom I switch between every appointment) both say I am definitely not ready to stop coming. My prescription was written for four to six weeks so I'll need to extend it to the six, at least. Edyta is an adorable and funny woman from Poland who makes physical therapy not only tolerable, but fun; John is a very good looking, relatively young Paisan who does an amazing job at taping my knee. We also know how I feel about Italians. ;-)

I need another knee surgery. It pisses me off and depresses me, but if I don't do it now then I'll definitely need a total knee replacement by the time I'm 30-40 years old like what John keeps telling me. I trust his word on this because he is also an orthopedic surgeon.

Now you all know the gist of what has been going on in the world of Clare DeFillippo.

Now I have to take my on-line exam for my ethics class before midnight. Before it gets any later, I want to take it now. Ciao!

current mood: indifferent

(pick my nose)

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008
3:01 pm - peek-a-boo!
Wow, I have really been neglecting this thing. I apologize, devoted readers. I'll give the Reader's Digest breakdown of what has gone on since my last update.

I had my double-jaw surgery a few days after Easter. It sucked balls and I hated my surgeon because of it. It was the anguish and despair that polluted my judgment because he is actually one of my all-time favorite doctors I have ever had to see. He did a beautiful job. I also get my braces off at 9AM on July 9, which also happens to be my parents' 31st wedding anniversary. Finally, three-and-a-half years and two jaw surgeries--technically three because both were on the upper jaw and the second was on the lower jaw--later, I am DONE!

My nephew, Andrew was born at 11:40 on April 7. He is SO beautiful, it's unreal! He has one of the prettiest shades of blue eyes I have ever seen.

Rey turned one two weeks ago to the day. I cannot believe he's already as old as he is. It seems like it was just last week I held him for the very first time. He's the love of my life and potentially my first Godchild. :)

I have been working at O'Brien's Irish Cottage with my sisters, Theresa and Laura for the past two months while Bernadette is on maternity leave. My last day will more than likely be at the end of July. It's okay though.

I did relatively well this past semester. I got a "B" in Intro to the Arts, a "B+" in the History of Invention and Technology in America, and a "D-" in Fundamentals of Nutrition. I'm not pleased with the "D-" but we had a paper due shortly after my surgery and I missed that Wednesday (the 26) because that's when the procedure was getting done, and I missed all of the next week. Ah well. It messed up my GPA only slightly and I didn't even need the class.

We got the fall schedule in the mail a few weeks ago and I told my ma I wanted to take American Lit: 1920 to Present. Why? Just for shits and giggles. She told me to go ahead because it'll be good for anyone to take a class like that. When I checked the days and time, I saw that Marie Masters (my editing partner/adviser/boss with "Our Times") is teaching it!!!! When I told my ma, she said I HAVE to take it because she knows how much I admire and respect her as a person, friend, and educator in what she has to offer in the classroom and with advice about everyday life. I got so excited, I sent Marie an email letting her know she has to mentally prepare herself to have me in her class for the first time in three years. She emailed me back the next morning telling me one of the things we'll be reading and mentioned she's looking forward to the possibility of having me again.

In other news, I just invested in this treasure from Amazon.com shortly before writing in this:



After shipping, it came to just over $23! I absolutely cannot wait until it gets here!

Sorry I have been neglecting this. If I didn't set my blog entries to friends only, I'd tell you all to go to my MySpace blog. I promise I'll try to remember to update this thing more often than I do.

current mood: mellow

(2 boogers | pick my nose)

Friday, February 22nd, 2008
11:26 pm
My dad told that crotchety Russian woman OFF! And it was all because I threw out a bag of trash. The whole situation was flippin' ridiculous but has the makings for a great story!

I know Mimee is the only one of my readers who knows, but my ma slipped on the ice Sunday morning. She broke her right leg (just above the ankle) in two places, making it a fib-tib break. She had surgery Sunday night and another one Wednesday afternoon. She'll be confined to a wheelchair for the next two months (at least) and need physical therapy. She's taking it like a champ. She didn't even cry! That's my ma for ya. She even cracks jokes about it all.

Cindy and I visited her Wednesday morning/afternoon (11:30-2) before she went in for surgery. She has been in very high spirits throughout it all. However, she's bummed that she'll most likely miss out on the baby shower on Sunday. Everything else she's taking it in stride because there's nothing that she can do. Her surgeon saw her briefly today and said her leg is healing very nicely and she'll be better in no time.

Other than that, nothing much is going on. I love Rey more and more every day, I have the greatest Dominican for a best friend I could have ever dreamed of having, my blood nephew will be here in a little over a month, and I can get my jaw surgery any time I want. However, school and what could have been a job (and ma of course) still have me feeling pretty down. It's a struggle.

current mood: tired

(pick my nose)

Sunday, February 10th, 2008
1:04 pm - Dance like you're in Jr. High!
Joel directs Heidi Montag's new music video!

Add to My Profile | More Videos


That cracks me up every damn time I watch it. If Joel McHale weren't married with a young kid, I would totally snatch him up and butter his bread. ;)

current mood: coping and amused

(pick my nose)

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008
4:12 pm
Okay, I am officially sick and tired of hearing about the Spice Girls. They sucked then and they suck now. Who gives a damn that they're on tour? I sure don't. Who couldn't care any less that they're releasing a "greatest hits" album? I sure as hell can't. I am convinced they're only popular again, unfortunately, because Scary Spice is the baby momma to Eddie Murphy's, what, ninth(?) child. GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!

I am also irritated by all of the coverage of Britney Spears. It's sad how much she has spiraled down into nothingness in the entertainment industry (despite me saying for the past decade she's not at all talented anyhow). Actually, I shouldn't say that; she has turned into a web of controversy and jokes. I admit to laughing at the jokes Joel McHale on "The Soup" tells, but at the same time, I wish people would really just leave her alone. She goes out of her way to get publicity from the paparazzi who only make things worse for her. I'm just tired of all of the coverage.

In other news, I hate my class schedule. My nutrition professor is a real whack-a-do who yells. My algebra teacher also reminds me of Mrs. Albrecht (former Davis students know what I mean) because she seriously sounds like she has devoted her entire life to cigarettes. The fact that that is my last class of the day (after being there for close to eight hours) and it's a two hour block doesn't help.

I won't be done with braces by my sister, Andrea's wedding this July. That pisses me off to no end.

The kiosk may not even happen this year. I'll be EXTREMELY pissed at the situation if it doesn't work because then I created that atrocious class schedule for virtually nothing.

I'm still not editing and I cannot help but continue to be bitter.

I hate school now, and I have a history test tomorrow at noon. I should have never checked out the second season of "The Sopranos" because that's what I plan to do in a bit before studying. Knowing me, I'll watch practically the entire season before I even review my lecture notes for tomorrow. Perhaps ma will wish to join me in watching it. Yes, that's right: I got her hooked. :) She really does love it, especially Paulie. She even recognized him by name the other night in a Denny's commercial when the cashier said that he (Paulie, played by Tony Sirico) handed him fake money, and he retorted, "Well that's not a real breakfast!"

Now you have all been updated on the jist of my life in this day and age.

"Go buy yourself something nice."


current mood: lethargic

(pick my nose)

Saturday, December 22nd, 2007
1:28 am
Perhaps the greatest lyric ever written:
"Though I've been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you."

"Real Love" by the Beatles/John Lennon.



current mood: stuffy

(pick my nose)

Friday, November 30th, 2007
10:23 am - so true



That's me right there: the Grammar Nazi.

current mood: tired

(pick my nose)

Wednesday, November 21st, 2007
1:19 am - poor entry
I have been baking pies for the past two days. I have also been reading Hamlet for class. I'm not ready for class tomorrow, but I'll have to wing it.

Julia found this on Andrea's Facebook this afternoon. I asked her to save it for me so I can post it in the "Mia Famiglia" album on my MySpace. Here 'tis:



It's from last fall, but I still love it. :)

And I really don't look anything like ma. Everything about me--both looks and personality--comes from dad's side, so how I fit into the Ameel and Bidigare families is beyond me. I am all Fabiano with a hint of DeFillippo.

We had a diary to turn in yesterday for my Shakespeare class. The topic was "fatherhood in Act One of Hamlet." I wrote about Ghost appearing to Prince Hamlet, and I came up with only the GREATEST puns for a title ever: "Here Comes the Son's King" (after the Beatles' song "Sun King," obviously). Clark buried his face in his hands, wept, and demanding I take my assignment away from him. "That is terrible!" he kept saying. At least I got him to laugh. NO ONE makes him laugh that often and I succeeded. I just may cry on the last day of the semester because I'm going to miss having his as my professor more than you could imagine.

Represent, bitches!



Wow. I am feeling quite tired. This terrible entry justifies my claim. I'm also in a bad and stressed out mood. Ergo, I'm going to bed. Buonanotte!

current mood: distressed

(pick my nose)

Sunday, October 28th, 2007
1:20 pm
(2007-10-27 23:17:58) mimee: hi lyff
(2007-10-27 23:18:02) mimee: *lylff


I love you, too, Mimee, aka my favorite "little" cousin. :)

current mood: touched

(1 booger | pick my nose)

Monday, October 15th, 2007
4:25 pm - American kids vs. Bambini Italiani
Italian Kids vs American Kids


American kids:
Move out when they're 18 with the full support of their parents.

Italian kids:
Move out when they're 28, having saved enough money for a house,
and are two weeks away from getting married....unless there's room in the basement for the newlyweds.
****

American kids:
When their Mom visits them, she brings a Bundt cake, and you sip
coffee and chat.

Italian kids:
When their Mom visits them, she brings 3 days worth of food,
begins to tidy up, dust, do the laundry, and rearrange the furniture.
***

American kids:
Their dads always call before they come over to visit them, and
it's usually only on special occasions.

Italian kids:
They're not at all fazed when their dads show up,
unannounced, on a Saturday morning at 8:00, and starts pruning the
fruit trees. If there are no fruit trees, he'll plant some.
***

American kids:
Always pay retail, and look in the Yellow Pages when they need to
have something done.

Italian kids:
Call their dad or uncle, and ask for another dad's or uncle's
phone number to get it done...cash deal. Know what I
mean??
***

American kids:
Will come over for cake and coffee, and get only cake and coffee. No more.
Italian kids:
Will come over for cake and coffee, and get antipasto, wine, a
pasta dish, a choice of two meats, salad, bread, a cannoli, fruit,
espresso, and a few after dinner drinks.
***

American kids:
Will greet you with "Hello" or "Hi".

Italian kids:
Will give you a big hug, a kiss on your cheek, and a pat on your back.
***

American kids:
Call your parents Mr . and Mrs.
Italian kids:
Call your parents Mom and Dad.
***

American kids:
Have never seen you cry.

Italian kids:
Cry with you.
***

American kids:
Borrow your stuff for a few days and then return it.

Italian kids:
Keep your stuff so long, they forget it's yours.
***

American kids :
Will eat at your dinner table and leave.

Italian kids:
Will spend hours there, talking, laughing, and just being together.
***

American kids:
Know few things about you.
Italian kids:
Could write a book with direct quotes from you.
***

American kids:
Eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on soft mushy white bread.

Italian kids:
Eat Genoa Salami and Provolone sandwiches on crusty Italian bread.
***

American kids:
Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing
Italian kids:
Will kick the whole crowds' ass who left you behind.
***

American kids:
Are for a while.
Italian kids:
Are for life.
***

American kids:
Like Rod Stewart, and Steve Tyrell.
Italian kids:
Worship Tony Bennett, and Sinatra
***

American kids:
Think that being Italian is cool.
Italian kids:
Know that being Italian is cool.
***

American kids:
Will ignore this.
Italian kids:
Will forward it.

current mood: exhausted

(pick my nose)

Tuesday, October 9th, 2007
1:31 am
I have been promising a Monty Python-inspired drawing to Clark for weeks. Being that we began discussing The Tragedy of Julius Caesar in class today, I figured this would be perfect. I also, of course, posted it as a comment on his MySpace for him to see first thing tomorrow when he signs in. I'm absolutely certain he'll be delighted by my mad "painting" skills. :)


Yes, I am still alive and (mostly) well. I'll give you all an update soon; perhaps tomorrow. I have to read the first two acts of The Tragedy of Julius Caesar for class on Wednesday, so if I feel like updating, I will.

Ah, hell. I've been catching up on some much-needed quality time with the love of my life (Cindy's son, Rey).

I have been pretty occupied reading more of David Sedaris' stuff. He is perhaps the funniest writer of our time. Check him out if you haven't already. I promise you you won't be disappointed! You'll have to have a zero sense of humor not to laugh at his writing.

I have also been busy reading for my Shakespeare class. Clark gives us a shitload of work, but thankfully it's never overwhelming.

The first issue of "Our Times" for the semester was distributed last week. Now Marie needs to send in the copy for this month's issue to the graphics people so we can start looking over the proofs. She and I spent a half hour of our time last Monday in her office stuffing in the insert. The conversation we had throughout was silly as always. I love working for her. Technically, she kind of is my boss, even though she nor I get paid for the publication. And also, yesterday marked two years exactly since the start of our directed study and when I officially became her "feisty Italian editor."

So how about what's-his-face, a D.J. for 95.5, started a "Britney Suicide Watch." It's sickening. The object of his "game" is to call in with a date that Britney Spears will die or commit suicide, and if your date is the same, he'll give you $1,000. It's immoral and disgusting.

Well I am pretty wiped. Ciao, l'amici!

current mood: artistic

(2 boogers | pick my nose)

Monday, August 13th, 2007
11:37 pm - mockery
I am SO original!Collapse )

All of those pictures look the exact same so I did my very own rendition of the unfortunate "fad." I have taken several other photos, but that is the only one Andrea has edited using photoshop. It's pretty crafty if Andrea and I say so ourselves. And yes, it is my new default on my MySpace, just like every other girls on there.

Some other photos I uploadedCollapse )


Now I must get to fact-checking. I have very little left and I already promised Marie today I'll have them to her no later than tomorrow. I'll give you all an actual update soon, I promise. Until then . . . ciao, l'amici!

current mood: silly

(pick my nose)

Sunday, July 22nd, 2007
5:52 pm
Sometimes I rediscover amazing songs. Other times I rediscover just how amazing some songs are. My current rediscovery is "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)" by Bob Dylan. I have added it to my MySpace play list if you wish to listen to it (www.myspace.com/clarebear330).


I didn't mean to treat you so bad
You shouldn't take it so personal
I didn't mean to make you so sad
You just happened to be there, that's all
When I saw you say "goodbye" to your friends and smile
I thought that it was well understood
That you'd be comin' back in a little while
I didn't know that you were sayin' "goodbye" for good

But, sooner or later, one of us must know
You just did what you're supposed to do
Sooner or later, one of us must know
That I really did try to get close to you

I couldn't see what you could show me
Your scarf had kept your mouth well hid
I couldn't see how you could know me
But you said you knew me and I believed you did
When you whispered in my ear
And asked me if I was leavin' with you or her
I didn't realize just what I did hear
I didn't realize how young you were

But, sooner or later, one of us must know
You just did what you're supposed to do
Sooner or later, one of us must know
That I really did try to get close to you

I couldn't see when it started snowin'
Your voice was all that I heard
I couldn't see where we were goin'
But you said you knew an' I took your word
And then you told me later, as I apologized
That you were just kiddin' me, you weren't really from the farm
An' I told you, as you clawed out my eyes
That I never really meant to do you any harm

But, sooner or later, one of us must know
You just did what you're supposed to do
Sooner or later, one of us must know
That I really did try to get close to you

current mood: lethargic

(pick my nose)

Tuesday, June 5th, 2007
1:18 pm
How could MTV find my crib "too boring?"



current mood: dirty

(pick my nose)

Sunday, June 3rd, 2007
11:16 pm
I'm not agreeing with it, nor am I saying I like it, but I gotta admit: Boy George's makeup is flawless. I wish I could get my eye liner and mascara to look this perfect:




My blog entries on my MySpace are very hum drum. I'm surprised writing them doesn't put me to sleep. So in my defense, I announced an official boycott until someone gives me something interest-grabbing to write about. If any of you guys have suggestions, I will gladly accept with two short open arms.

current mood: sore

(pick my nose)

Saturday, June 2nd, 2007
8:10 pm
I'm not going to lie: I like Boy George's music.

current mood: good

(2 boogers | pick my nose)

Thursday, May 24th, 2007
5:49 pm
This cracks me up every time I watch it:


current mood: disenchanted

(pick my nose)

Sunday, May 20th, 2007
1:14 am
Normally I don't like covers of songs, but I am in love with Jason Mraz's rendition of Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall." It doesn't compare to Dylan's, of course, but it's still very impressive.

I got an A- in poetry! I have been meaning to share that news with you all for the past few days now.

As soon as the living room t.v. is free, I'm going to watch an episode of "The Sopranos" before I head off to bed. I cannot get enough of my fellow Italians I cannot help but love, Christopher Moltisanti especially. I also realized that it's kind of funny that Vincent Pastore's character, Sal Bonpensiero is nicknamed "Pussy" (or "Big Pussy") and there's a character whose name is Bobby Bacala. Why is that kind of funny, you ask? Well let's just say that Pastore's character's name when translated to Italian is the latter-mentioned name. How pleasant, huh?

current mood: buzzed

(pick my nose)

Friday, May 11th, 2007
12:08 am
Today was definitely rough. I miss everyone already. Lunch with Marie was pretty good and poetry was fun. Clark did a little mock elections type deal on his own, and I was on the list of "Teacher's Pets" (number one out of three) and "Most Italian" (number one out of two). I was highly amused by the Italian one.

Gold. Silver. Bronze. Linolium. Formica.
That's funny. :)

I hate changes in routine, especially when the routine was very enjoyable and you had no complaints.

I'm going to watch an episode of "The Sopranos" and then get in bed. Arrividerci, l'amici!

current mood: depressed/weepy

(pick my nose)

Thursday, May 10th, 2007
7:54 am
Today is the last day of class for the semester. Here's my agenda for today:
Finish getting ready.
Leave for school.
Hang out with Clark in his office until class at 11.
Savor the final 1 hour 15-20 minutes of Introduction to Poetry. :(
Say my goodbyes/see-ya-soons. :(
Have lunch with Marie.
Hang around until Jucifer gets out of class.
Head on home.
I don't know. Maybe weep?

This is depressing. I hate growing attached to people and classes. I always feel so sad and gloomy when it's coming to the end.

current mood: sad

(2 boogers | pick my nose)

> previous 20 entries
> top of page
LiveJournal.com